11 March 2009

Don't be fooled

I've never done this before, so don't get any ideas that this is my norm. I often have ideas about the day in my head, but I've never written it down like this before (although my sisters may not believe me about that). Okay, I admit, I have WANTED to, but I've kept from doing it because: 1) I wanted to do it right, you know like maybe using stickers with pictures since the kids obviously can't read, or magnets or something, and I had never gotten around to organizing that, and 2) I like to be flexible and see how the day goes (as in, what if I don't FEEL like it, and the TV is doing a PERFECTLY good job entertaining them at the moment?!! :) But I spontaneously wrote this up on the whiteboard last night, and true to form, Daniel LOVED it. I told him it was just a plan, and it might change if we needed to do something different (to which he was not impressed, and at lunchtime even said to me "so we HAVEN'T had to change it!!", kind of like 'I told you so...'). He referred back to it multiple times and even wanted me to cross them off as we went. I've probably done myself in, but then, in a strange way, it was fun to work to a plan (no Andrew it's not a schedule!). They didn't mind turning the TV off when it was time for the next thing, and rest time even started quickly because that was THE PLAN. So here's to "Plans for the Day". May they not be my undoing. ps. when i wrote 'get dressed to music' i just thought it was more interesting than writing 'get dressed', and figured I'd put on the ipod. but daniel took it to heart and 'played' the guitar and sang his brand new single "Let's get dressed" to Laura while she chose her outfit for the day (red and pink together nonetheless!!!). gee I love them.

5 comments:

Jill said...

I just love it!!! - Mom

LilPrecious said...

Ha! I think you have inspired me to try this as well! *grin* Kids do thrive on "routine" and knowing what is coming next!

Anna said...

That is beautiful! I wish I could hear Daniel's new song.

Jennifer said...

Of course you love it mom! Heehee. Makes my head hurt. Although I will admit - my kids would LOVE it too. [SIGH]

The Quinones Family said...

Sarah, you always seem to find such joy in those simple daily life kind of things with your kids...I admire that! :) Miss you guys!