15 May 2008

3 and 3/4

At Daniel's preschool they like all the kids to have a chance to 'celebrate' a birthday, even if their birthday doesn't fall during the school year (and since July is summer in America, Daniel misses out). So they celebrate 3 1/2 birthdays, and even 3 3/4 birthdays! True to my cynical self, I went into it thinking it was a bit silly. But Daniel told me in the car on the way there exactly what he was going to get to do: make a birthday book with the teacher (pictured), stand up on the chair in 'come together time' and describe the book he made and the snack he brought. I don't think he stopped smiling all morning.

So this cynical mom/mum was a bit less cynical after the day was over. What is funny, though, is that he actually says to people now that he is 3 3/4, which is amusing and every-so-slightly embarrassing - as though I'm pushing fractions on my 3 3/4-year old!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Ok - you are talking to a summer birthday girl - I SO RESENTED the end of summer popsicle party my school had for all the summer birthdays!! So I applaud your preschool for celebrating it that way. I have thought about it before, but next year for Ryan (August birthday) I will be celebrating his 4 1/2 birthday for sure!

LilPrecious said...

How neat that schools are willing/able to acknowledge the kids that would otherwise miss out! I can just imagine how THRILLED he was to have his special birthday!