13 January 2008

Mary

I have very much enjoyed this friend of mine, Mary. What started as a volunteer position has become a friendship. I was kind of challenging myself to do something outside my comfort zone, since I would have naturally gravitated towards doing something with kids... But we clicked quickly, and although she went into hospital at one point with a blood clot in her lung, and very nearly died, she fought back and is now living at home again, with 24-hour care. And she's 96. She has an email address (that she really checks!), subscribes to Netflix, and told the doctors in hospital that although she didn't want to be revived or put on life support, she was really curious what was going to happen in the world and who was going to be the next U.S. President. Wow. I'm so glad to know her.

No comments: