09 March 2014

Dipping in

Making bread has always been in my too-hard basket. But over Christmas I watched my sister make bread and rolls, etc... and I didn't see her clear her calendar, or clear the house of everyone, or take deep breaths or anything. She just did it and it didn't seem all that dramatic. (yum and very appreciated, but not 'don't-bug-me-I'm-making-bread' kind of dramatic). Now cooking and baking is just like breathing for her, which I admire, so in the spirit of being deliberate about how I spend my time (a current theme for me), I have made a bit of bread. Only a bit. 2 of my mom's all-time best recipes actually. I did stumble on a bread making blog with that tempting title "10 helpful tips for breadmaking". Well... I won't do that again. I can't for the life of me figure out how there is time for such rigorous routine to breadmaking that includes recording the temperature and every other detail about each breadmaking experience. What?! I have a mixer and dough hooks, I have bread pans, yeast and flour. That's where I'm starting. 

So the dough has risen, the kids have loved it, and that's a great start in my book. :)

Crescent rolls
(a hit for school lunches, and great as garlic rolls 
and as cheese and vegemite scrolls too!)

Wheaties bread!! 
(a bit too dense, but still Mom's Wheaties bread! 
I didn't want to share it with anyone...)

So here's to trying new things and - even if it is just bread - dipping in to that too-hard basket and adding to the repertoire of 'can-do' stuff. Hmmm, what's next...

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

ok, that was seriously funny - like pound my hand on the counter funny! Well done sister. But it is sad how you ruin perfectly good crescent rolls with vegemite... Blech.

:)

The 18th is just around the corner....

What's next? Denim skirts and homeschooling??? LOL!

Jill said...

I don't think I found it quite as FUNNY as Jenn (but she is the one who finds breadmaking so easy!). But I found it very true for me too.

Here's to dipping in!

<3's sister... can't wait to see you all again!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Jenn, too funny!! However, kudos for tackling the 2 riskiest breads, only because there is a standard to keep set by your Mom that is hard to meet!! Good Job Sarah, they look GREAT!! Hope they taste as good as they look! DAD

Pam and Steve said...

Okay, your mom needs to comment!
Those crescents look amazing!! They aren't that hard to do, are they? And what can I say about the bread??? So glad that recipe has passed on to my girls (at least one, anyway). Be brave...try
something else.
Mom