08 August 2007

Confused or Flexible?

Some think Daniel is quite Australian in his speech, but of course the Aussies think he is very American. So proof to all that his speech has influences from both (and after all, he is both)... We were playing 'ordering', where Daniel goes in the playhouse and I order food from the window (he also calls it 'playing McDonald's', but that's a bit embarrassing to admit...): (but first, a little USA/Aussie translation help: chips=fries, and sauce=ketchup) Daniel: We have chips and hot dogs. Mum: Okay, I'll have chips and some sauce. D: Actually, we don't have sauce, but we do have ketchup. I do try my best to do the right thing for both countries, I promise, although his hot dog consumption is probably far above what would be accepted in Australia... ;) But he still says 'bickies' [australian for crackers] and 'straight away' [australian for 'right now'].

No comments: