01 May 2015

Haircuts and apologies

2 things you gotta do in life: 

1. Have your hair cut

I've cut the kids' hair for ages, often with mixed success. Usually they don't want to go to a professional. Goodness knows why not... Anyway we found ourselves out and about on a rainy day, and Nick needed his hair cut so that his school photos in a few days wouldn't have that your-mum-just-totally-cut-your-hair-last-night-didn't-she look. So although I had my scissors, I was at a loss as to how to do it myself when it was raining. He casually suggested we could go to the hairdresser.
Duh!! Best $20 spent. 
May never cut it myself again! 
Now to get Daniel to the hairdressers.

2. Apologise

Because we mess up. 
And I often take myself and this parenting thing too seriously, 
causing minor (or more) amounts of friction. 
One of the kids was not listening, ignoring what I said to do, 
that totally normal kid thing to do that can bring me to the end 
of whatever rope it is that I think I am holding onto. 
So I lose it: "You may think you don't have to listen 
to what you're being told to do and that you're your own boss, 
but you're not. I'm the mother and I'm the boss."
Yes, those were virtually my exact words. 
I told my child I was the mother. 
Newsflash, I know.
Man it's so good that we can apologise, 
but I hate it when my reckless unnecessary words hurt my kids.
For a variety of obvious reasons, the above photo is not an actual depiction of me.
Just clarifying.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

How about a after picture? Oh, yeah, it will be a school picture. I hope I apologized when I should have to you girls...

Unknown said...

How about a after picture? Oh, yeah, it will be a school picture. I hope I apologized when I should have to you girls...

Unknown said...

What! No "after" pic? To see what it's like when your-mum-took-you-to-the-hairdresser-last-night look?

Having to apologize helps them be able to do the same when they screw up as well as realize we are human too! Love you, DAD.

SB said...

It wasn't that dramatic of a cut, so I didn't take an after shot. I'll post school photos soon. As for whether you guys apologized I honestly can't remember, which must be so deflating as parents. All the work we put in and they don't remember!!! The message gets through hopefully. Let's just assume that since apologize regularly to my kids, I probably learned it from you!! ;)