Seems to me that 10 is a turning point age. It's not adolescence, nothing specific happens (not with boys anyway)... except the desperate desire to listen and understand EVERYTHING that the adults talk about. Which can be tricky.
But... at the moment, this 10 year old Daniel is in India with Andrew - visiting some non-profit work and experiencing the developing world for the first time.
And this tricky age is turning out to be not so tricky on the trip, because Daniel is thrilled to be with grownups, listening to much of the adult conversation.
I just spoke to Andrew, and Daniel received some really wonderful compliments from some of their hosts about his ability to engage with adults, hang out with other kids playing cricket for hours, and "not be on the iPad all day". Woo hooooo! Now this is the stuff that makes it all worth it. Little things are big things. Great kid. I think he'll come back taller, his heart increased in compassion, and his bond with his dad stronger. And to think I wasn't sure he was ready.
But... at the moment, this 10 year old Daniel is in India with Andrew - visiting some non-profit work and experiencing the developing world for the first time.
And this tricky age is turning out to be not so tricky on the trip, because Daniel is thrilled to be with grownups, listening to much of the adult conversation.
I just spoke to Andrew, and Daniel received some really wonderful compliments from some of their hosts about his ability to engage with adults, hang out with other kids playing cricket for hours, and "not be on the iPad all day". Woo hooooo! Now this is the stuff that makes it all worth it. Little things are big things. Great kid. I think he'll come back taller, his heart increased in compassion, and his bond with his dad stronger. And to think I wasn't sure he was ready.
2 comments:
What a great post, Mum
What lovely things to be said about your boy... Makes a Mommy heart swell! Loves!
Post a Comment