So I did the crossing of the Pacific with 3 bubs on my own. The flight: great. The travel through airports: HARD. I would love to post some pictures, but maybe it'll be no surprise that I took NONE! How exactly would I have taken a picture while pushing TWO luggage trolleys, each with a child and suitcases on them, and with Nick in the carrier on me? No, I didn't take any pictures, but others did...
Below is the email I wrote my family on the day I arrived back. Excuse the lack of succinctness, I can't be bothered editing it much - I'm only barely back in the land of the living after the trip. :)
---
Okay, there were 2 moments where I thought it was all just going to go downhill fast, but I'll tell you the story first...
Checking into the Qantas flight at San Francisco airport - they didn't have a bassinet row for me with all 3 in the same row - they had 1 or 2 seats across the aisle, and me in the bassinet seat. Or - I could do all of us together in a normal row - no bassinet. NO. NO!! I just couldn't fathom doing that flight without a bassinet, or with the kids across the aisle - just imagine them not wanting to stay in their seat, but wanting to sit with me, and always being in the way of people walking the aisles... disaster. So I was pretty teary - not really crying, but not knowing what to do. FINALLY, the lady figured it out. She was really nice and trying to be helpful, but it just took awhile to figure out what to do, and in the meantime I was thinking that I might be staying in SFran for a few days because there wasn't another flight till Saturday, and I was seriously not getting on the plane without all of us in the bassinet row... Anyway, she moved another group of 2 adults with a kid, and just put one of the adults across the aisle, which is better than kids being separated from parents (duh!)... But then we sat in the row with a guy who didn't even have a baby in the bassinet next to ours. Ahhh, the joys of flying.
Okay, so we got all checked in and went to eat. Got our food - all hot and smelling good - and Laura announces that she has to go to the bathroom. Great. Take the food back to the hot counter to maybe keep warm for a few minutes. Drag everyone to the bathroom... Came back and started to eat, and Laura THROWS UP all over the floor. Misses any of our stuff, and airport staff clean up the mess. Great. She seems fine, eats more and we get to the plane. Taxiing down the runway, everyone buckled in, and Laura does the 2nd throw up. HUGE, multiple times, looks like diarhea. Seriously gross. Lucky Nick and Daniel were asleep and missed it, but since we hadn't taken off yet, we had to sit with the mess for 15 minutes before I could get up and call for someone to help clean it up. Bad start.
But all went well and the kids slept 8-9 hours, Nicholas even more, and that was magic. I slept 6-7 hours I think. Then came the airport transfers where neither of the two older kids wanted to be helpful AT ALL. I don't blame them, really, but it was hard. Luckily people were there to help, but it was still a lot of work, and I ended up pushing two luggage carts, with luggage and a kid on each of them, side by side, through customs and out the arrival gates where there are hundreds of people waiting to greet people coming off. Great. I heard "now there's a photo!" from one person, and then saw another guy taking a PICTURE of me on his phone. Funny, but also not. He was embarrassed to see that I saw him doing it. Most of the people I looked at were already looking at me. Quite a few people asked me where my husband was. Then there was this great airport staff lady who helped me to the domestic transfer spot, and then an American couple who helped me with all the bags through security, onto the bus with the kids, and all the way to the domestic drop off where they had a buggy waiting to take us to the gate. The kids thought that was great. We stopped off for some bottles of water, and the guy at the stand said I had my hands full and gave the kids a lollipop. Very nice. When we got on the last flight, I said to Daniel, "wow, we had a lot of helpful people today, what would we have done without them?!" He said, "I thinkt the most helpful person was the guy who gave us the lollipop!" Classic.
Now I'm home and the kids slept pretty well through the night. Seriously happy to be done with that travel - would do the flight again (minus throw up), but I could do without the airport crap. :)
Life, memories, trips... lately I only seem to be blogging for a birthday. Hard to prioritise blogging over being with people, or doing the stuff related to taking care of these people. But I do love keeping the memories here, even if it's sporadic.
26 May 2009
Pictures? I think not.
So I did the crossing of the Pacific with 3 bubs on my own. The flight: great. The travel through airports: HARD. I would love to post some pictures, but maybe it'll be no surprise that I took NONE! How exactly would I have taken a picture while pushing TWO luggage trolleys, each with a child and suitcases on them, and with Nick in the carrier on me? No, I didn't take any pictures, but others did...
Below is the email I wrote my family on the day I arrived back. Excuse the lack of succinctness, I can't be bothered editing it much - I'm only barely back in the land of the living after the trip. :)
---
Okay, there were 2 moments where I thought it was all just going to go downhill fast, but I'll tell you the story first...
Checking into the Qantas flight at San Francisco airport - they didn't have a bassinet row for me with all 3 in the same row - they had 1 or 2 seats across the aisle, and me in the bassinet seat. Or - I could do all of us together in a normal row - no bassinet. NO. NO!! I just couldn't fathom doing that flight without a bassinet, or with the kids across the aisle - just imagine them not wanting to stay in their seat, but wanting to sit with me, and always being in the way of people walking the aisles... disaster. So I was pretty teary - not really crying, but not knowing what to do. FINALLY, the lady figured it out. She was really nice and trying to be helpful, but it just took awhile to figure out what to do, and in the meantime I was thinking that I might be staying in SFran for a few days because there wasn't another flight till Saturday, and I was seriously not getting on the plane without all of us in the bassinet row... Anyway, she moved another group of 2 adults with a kid, and just put one of the adults across the aisle, which is better than kids being separated from parents (duh!)... But then we sat in the row with a guy who didn't even have a baby in the bassinet next to ours. Ahhh, the joys of flying.
Okay, so we got all checked in and went to eat. Got our food - all hot and smelling good - and Laura announces that she has to go to the bathroom. Great. Take the food back to the hot counter to maybe keep warm for a few minutes. Drag everyone to the bathroom... Came back and started to eat, and Laura THROWS UP all over the floor. Misses any of our stuff, and airport staff clean up the mess. Great. She seems fine, eats more and we get to the plane. Taxiing down the runway, everyone buckled in, and Laura does the 2nd throw up. HUGE, multiple times, looks like diarhea. Seriously gross. Lucky Nick and Daniel were asleep and missed it, but since we hadn't taken off yet, we had to sit with the mess for 15 minutes before I could get up and call for someone to help clean it up. Bad start.
But all went well and the kids slept 8-9 hours, Nicholas even more, and that was magic. I slept 6-7 hours I think. Then came the airport transfers where neither of the two older kids wanted to be helpful AT ALL. I don't blame them, really, but it was hard. Luckily people were there to help, but it was still a lot of work, and I ended up pushing two luggage carts, with luggage and a kid on each of them, side by side, through customs and out the arrival gates where there are hundreds of people waiting to greet people coming off. Great. I heard "now there's a photo!" from one person, and then saw another guy taking a PICTURE of me on his phone. Funny, but also not. He was embarrassed to see that I saw him doing it. Most of the people I looked at were already looking at me. Quite a few people asked me where my husband was. Then there was this great airport staff lady who helped me to the domestic transfer spot, and then an American couple who helped me with all the bags through security, onto the bus with the kids, and all the way to the domestic drop off where they had a buggy waiting to take us to the gate. The kids thought that was great. We stopped off for some bottles of water, and the guy at the stand said I had my hands full and gave the kids a lollipop. Very nice. When we got on the last flight, I said to Daniel, "wow, we had a lot of helpful people today, what would we have done without them?!" He said, "I thinkt the most helpful person was the guy who gave us the lollipop!" Classic.
Now I'm home and the kids slept pretty well through the night. Seriously happy to be done with that travel - would do the flight again (minus throw up), but I could do without the airport crap. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
AHHHH! You are so brave! I'm glad, minus the two incidents, that it went well. Hooray for such good airplane sleepers. That for sure was your saving grace. I can't believe all you had to do at the airport transfer - a bus?! - wow. Andrew better give you a good week off for this one!!!
xoxoxo
i love that people are so kind to moms (and probably dads, too) traveling alone with kids! that sounds like an experience! glad you wrote it down, so you can remember the details when the kids get older! although, i'm sure this wont be your last "single parent" trip accross the ocean!
You're amazing... I'm sorry that it was so crazy (at least it sounded so) but I'm glad you seemed to have a great visit!
Boy what an ordeal, you are one resourceful mom. Miss you.
Post a Comment